Book an In-House Workshop today!
This workshop is also available as a tailored In-house workshop Find out more »
No foundational business analysis or technical knowledge is required.
The role of Business Analysts is critical in contemporary system development. The Business Analyst is a key partner with the project manager, analyst programmers and system developers. In particular, the project manager relies on the Business Analyst to assist in providing more detailed project objectives, system requirements, business process analysis and cost-benefit analysis.
This intensive 3 day workshop introduces an integrated set of analysis and modelling techniques designed to help the Business Analyst in understanding and documenting the complex areas of project scope, objectives and added value or benefit expectations. In addition, the workshop presents powerful modelling tools for translating the business objectives into system requirements.
These techniques have been developed, adapted and applied by Thomsett International in many businesses and IT projects over the past 18 years. They are considered by experts as Best Practice and have been adopted by many leading organisations as a standard.
- The changing business and IT project environment
- The essential analysis concepts
- Logical versus physical systems
- Data versus information
- Expectations versus requirements
- Project Planning
- The business drivers
- Defining scope and objectives
- Stakeholders and related projects
- Current System Study
- Case Study: Introduction
- Introduction to data-flow diagrams
- Modelling scope and objectives
- Context Level Data-flow Diagrams
- Case Study: Current System Context Level Data-flow Diagram
- Modelling business processes
- Tips and tricks for modelling processes
- Level 1 Data-flow Diagrams
- Case Study: Current System Level 1 Data-flow Diagram
- An introduction to Benefits Analysis
- Project Objective levels
- The IRACIS model
- Primary and secondary benefits
- Gathering benefits data
- Project objectives measures
- Case Study: Added Value Analysis Plan
- Modelling data requirements
- Introduction to data analysis
- Basic terms and concepts
- Relationship to project management
- Case Study: Project Plan, Requirements Analysis Phase
- Putting it all together
- Modelling proposed business requirements
- Case Study: Proposed System Context and Level 1 Data-flow Diagrams
Workshop participants will receive a full set of the workshop materials and a book written by Rob and Camille Thomsett on Business Analysis.